2 large onions, chopped
1 lb great northern beans
5 stalks fresh celery
1 cup chopped zucchini
Fresh garlic or garlic powder to taste
1-8oz can whole tomatoes, chopped or diced
1 cup flat Italian parsley, chopped
2-3 cups vegetable broth to start (more to add as it cooks down)
1/2 lb ditalini or elbow pasta
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup pecorino cheese (optional)
- Wash and soak beans for 2 hours.
- Rinse beans and bring to a boil with lid on pot. Don’t let it boil over. Use 1/2 gallon, or more, water. Cook until semi tender.
- Add all other ingredients except pasta, including vegetable broth, and cook over medium to high heat, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Continue to cook until the beans are tender (about 2-3 hours). Add broth as needed.
- Cook pasta separately in boiling salt water until al dente. Rinse, drain, and cool.
- Mix the pasta and beans, add a sprinkle of pecorino cheese (optional), and serve.